Unexpected hug.



I went upstairs to get some Easter stuff out of a closet early this morning, before coffee. Sitting on one of the boxes was this little book I recognized but hadn't seen in a while. I grabbed it along with the Easter stuff and went on my way. [Do you remember when EVERYTHING had this angel on it?]

When I took time to flip through the book, I remembered that I used it to take notes during sermons at our "new" church, starting back in 1999.  Notes from 2000 -- quite a few weeks represented there. Continues on through 2001 -- here's a note from September 9, 2001:  Psalm 118:7-9 -- have confidence that God is in charge. That was a truth to remember a couple of days later. A few other headlines caught my eye ("Regaining Credibility," "How to Provoke Your Children" -- good times!) and I found a sweet card from a friend.

Notes stopped after May 26, 2002. A bunch of blank pages made up almost half the notebook. That was a pretty tough year, so maybe that's why. Or maybe I changed purses or something silly like that.

I almost missed it. I started flipping from the back. Blank pages, blank pages...wait. What was that? I flipped back and found this:
"Hi Sweet Girl
Hope you are having a happy day.
You make me happy!
I love you,
Mom
11-1-01"

I have no idea if I knew at the time she'd done this, but I really don't think so. Sneaky Mom swiped my notebook and left me a love note. Ten years later, I'm getting a virtual hug from her. And she's coming to see me in four days. Then I get a real one.

 My daddy used to write me notes, and I still have them -- and he's been gone 11 years. I do this for my girl and hubby, too. If you don't do it, you should try it. You just never know what will happen. It was a wonderful way to start my day.

Comments

  1. Love. This makes my heart feel good. Hugs to you from us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love coming across things like that. Old things from parents or friends. It always puts a smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All the food!

Cheese, glorious cheese.

Week 18 Scorecard