Week 11 Scorecard

I tried an experiment. I've been stuck for a couple weeks, so I changed a few things last week to try to jump start weight loss again. I've also contended for the last few months that the day I weigh in matters, but I couldn't really prove it. I'm sure that scientifically it all evens out. But when discouragement sets in, the result can't be good.

Yesterday (Monday, my usual weigh in day) I dutifully got on the scale in the morning. After being stuck for two weeks, I was down .4 pound. (There's a decimal point in front of that four.) That annoyed me a little. Just the day before, the scale had shown a much greater loss, so I decided to try something.

Sundays are challenging -- I'm not home for a good portion of the day, getting my water in is difficult, and it is usually a rest day from working out. I try not to eat poorly, but if there's going to be a restaurant in my week, it's likely to be on Sunday afternoon. So my theory was that the number on the scale Monday mornings was just inflated a bit. Even after paying attention to food and exercise all week, the "formal" result could really be a downer, which I do not need.

So I recorded my Monday weight, and went on about my day. I had a workout Monday night, I drank all my water, and my calorie count was in the right range for the day.

This morning, I pretended it was my official weigh in. The result? Down 1.4 from Monday, 1.8 for the week.  Total so far: 14.3 pounds lost.

I don't think it's a fluke. I don't think I'll put that back on in the coming days. It maps with what I see during most weeks, that isn't usually reflected on Mondays.

Yes, I might totally be kidding myself. But if I manage to fool my brain long enough, great things can happen!
_______________________________________

The daughter and I are running our 5K this Saturday. I posted my personal best time on a run last Friday - 2.5 miles in 29 minutes (then Endomondo died), and a total distance of 3.2 miles. Earlier last week I ran a full two miles without stopping - had never done that before. So of course the 2.5 miles was not only a decent time for me, but the longest non-stop distance run. Yay! Now we're having flooding, but my plan is to hit the 3 mile mark before Saturday.

I discovered my mental/physical wall. If I can get past 1.5 miles, my breathing levels out, my legs don't want to collapse on me, and I can keep going. When I stopped at 2.5 miles, it was more due to the music/Endomondo malfunction than any feeling that I was going to die.

My goal for the 5K is to finish under 40 minutes. Obviously I'm not setting any speed records, but I don't care. A year ago (3 months ago!) I would have totally laughed at the idea that I could really run the entire thing. Results to come.

Comments

  1. Find the best abdominal exercises for you, with emphasis on the lower abs workouts. Then stick to it! Combined with a healthy diet you should see some results after six weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Suzie! I'm working on a posting about the workouts now, and those abs definitely need work. Hope to hear from you again!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cheese, glorious cheese.

Food review: Joseph's Pita Bread

Whole30, Week 2