An anniversary weekend.

This weekend my husband and I will celebrate 24 years of marriage. [Obviously we got married when I was 10.] We're going down the road to a lovely hotel with great restaurants, wine, entertainment, wine, and an excuse to wear my new boots. I might have a glass of wine.

I'm not a big proponent of "cheat days" or "it's a celebration - do what you want" kind of thinking when committed to healthy living. That sort of thing has derailed me more times than I can count. If you've been following this blog for the last month, you'll see that there haven't been splurges for the most part - a couple of unexpected outings, but nothing unmanageable. I think it's because I've known this weekend was coming.

Even though it's not a "free" weekend, I have every intention of enjoying myself fully while we're gone. I've scoped out the restaurants, and know where we're going and what I'm going to have. It will be somewhat more calories than I have been consuming in a day, but it won't be a ridiculous overage. Oh, and did I mention there will very probably be a glass (or three) of wine in my future? I'm sure I'll be tracking some form of points in my head, but it's not my primary focus.

There will always be celebrations, events, and just ordinary meals where I will want something that's not "on plan" -- if I always say no, that's a pretty depressing existence. If I always say yes with abandon, then I might as well resign myself to being overweight and unhealthy, which is just as depressing. I know there is a happy medium -- a mental (and physical) place that allows me to sit with my guy enjoying food we love while reminiscing about 24 years together. A place where food is not balanced on a "good" or "bad" scale - where portion control and exercise make the difference.

I keep reminding myself that I'm doing this for LIFE, not for months. I'm committed to changing unhealthy habits, but it won't do me any good to only do things that I have no intention of continuing. There's no way I'll never have dessert, or chips, or wine again, so learning to live making balanced choices is the important part of this journey. Yes, to get to my goal, I need to be strict on myself. But it's definitely worth not losing a pound this week to get to celebrate with the love of my life.

How's that for a mushy anniversary post? I'll do that when we get back!
from Pinterest

Comments

  1. Happy anniversary! Hope you and the hubs have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We went out on a much needed date night last night. I went to the gym before and told myself I would just enjoy within reason. I did okay. Not great, but well enough to know that I can still have fun without eating a full plate of enchiladas and downing two 18oz margaritas.

    Happy Anniversary. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! And it's Mexican food for us, too. I'm about to hit the elliptical to work up some credit myself.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All the food!

Cheese, glorious cheese.

Week 18 Scorecard