Lessons from "The Shawshank Redemption"

I've had movies on the brain lately, and got this idea for writing about some of my favorite movies/books/TV shows from a "what can I learn from this" perspective. Notice the title doesn't say "Lessons I'VE Learned" -- that's because I don't think I've learned all this stuff yet! But, maybe it'll make me think about it again.

Starting with one of my absolute favorites, The Shawshank Redemption. I can't guarantee no spoilers, but I'll try to keep it to a minimum.


 
  • Life is not fair. Andy's not guilty of the crime, but convicted anyway. He gets proof of innocence, and it's taken away. No matter the surroundings, know that "fairness" is not the standard nor a guarantee. Deal with it.
  • People in power may abuse it. Warden Norton, Captain Hadley, even the the "sisters" took the position of power and made life miserable for anyone they could. Figure out how to work around that, and don't become one of them.
  • Know the guy who has "been known to locate certain things from time to time." Not because he can get you stuff, but because he's probably a good problem-solver, thinker, and somebody you want on your team. Even better, be that guy!
  • Sometimes feeling normal is the most important thing. Whatever that definition of normal is for any person, that feeling can change a day or a lifetime. Drinking beer on a roof, listening to opera, sitting in the sunshine...it doesn't have to be huge to be valuable.
  • First impressions are often wrong. Red "didn't think much of Andy" when he first saw him, and bet against him the first night. Give yourself a chance to change your mind, and there's no telling who might impress you. 
  • Hope is a good thing...and no good thing ever dies. Andy insists on this, but Red believes hope will drive a man insane. I think Andy gets this one right. Hope gives you the will to keep going. Hope is faith.
  • Get busy living, or get busy dying. 'Nuff said.
If you haven't seen this movie, put it on your list. The language is rough, as you'd think a prison movie would be, but it is so worth it.


 What movies make your "I learned something" list?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All the food!

Cheese, glorious cheese.

B f l Day 11: Let's talk TV.