It's smoothie week!

I got a new toy.
This is an Oster My Blend - personal blender. It's perfect for smoothies. So I hereby declare it smoothie week!

I'm not a big Jamba Juice or Smoothie King person. Usually those are too big or too sweet for me, and quite honestly, cost more than I'm willing to spend. I also don't use mixes. Here's my personal favorite blend for a breakfast smoothie. It holds hunger at bay for a couple of hours if I have one in the morning.

All of my smoothies start with yogurt. I don't care what flavor, because I'm going to add lots of fruit anyway. This one happens to be peach. I do recommend at least a 6 oz container. If you have the small 4 oz ones, you might want to add a little milk to make sure it has enough liquid.

I try to keep frozen bananas all the time. I've always got a few about to turn, so I peel them and stick them in a ziploc in the freezer. They are great for this (as well as for other recipes). The berries here are a mix of frozen and fresh. I use somewhere around a cup of berries.

What may be unusual for some is the "cutie" - I love the citrus! And we all know I love cuties! And finally, fresh spinach. I swear you can't taste it, and it really does add nutrients I need. Throw in a handful without the stems.

I'm still experimenting with the best way to put the ingredients in this particular blender, but this seems to work. Yogurt goes in first, so that it adds the moisture as it runs down to the bottom. If the berries are completely frozen, I'll need to shake it a few times during blending to get everything down to the blade. I put the cutie in last, again to add moisture where the blade is. Screw on top, flip it upside down to put it on the base, and blend away!

Neat feature of this blender is the travel cap. Just remove the blade and replace with the flip top lid and drink straight from the same container.

The $30 base model just has one bottle, but you can get extras on Amazon for about $12. Once we've had it a while and continue to use it, I could see us having one each, and everyone makes exactly the smoothie he/she wants.

If I was a big-time blogger, this would be the point where I announce a contest to give one of these away, but alas, not gonna happen ... yet. :-) I have enjoyed it for the last few days though, so if you've been in the market, take this input for what it's worth.

More smoothie recipes to come! BTW, the WW point total for the above recipe is TWO POINTS! That's it! Calories are around 250.


Comments

  1. YES! Smoothie week... Awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I've been looking for something like this. I hate dragging the blender out (we don't have a ton of counter space and it's one we got for our wedding 12 years ago...sweet Zeus, I hope you didn't give it to us) and then washing it and putting it back.

    I love smoothies and fruit is not always easy to incorporate into my diet, as much as I love (LOVE) it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! I don't think I gave you a blender. This one is a good size. It's been on my counter since I got it. If we ALL liked the same thing (like that would happen) we'd need a big one, but one at a time works for us. The Magic Bullet is the other one we looked at, but it was $50 and just didn't seem worth it.

      Delete
  3. Ok-so even though I don't like yogurt, I can see this one tasting SUPER yummy. I kick and scream everytime I'm forced to eat yogurt (even though I'M the one forcing myself).

    Fine...i'll try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. [you're a guinea pig for me playing with comments on my blog. Sorry. Here's the comment back.]
      It tastes like ice cream once you add the frozen fruit. Or, have you ever tried almond milk? Even regular milk if you like that better. Add some ice to make it slushy.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All the food!

Cheese, glorious cheese.

Week 18 Scorecard